Monday, August 31, 2009

Happy Onam!!!

Today is Uthradam, the 9th day in the month of Chingam(Shravan) and tomorrow is Thiruvonam, a festive day at Kerala. And I wish to wish you all a verrry Happy Onam..


And about my Onam this year, I am not at home but at Bangalore. Had some work to finish and had to stay back here having postponed my vacation by a week. But Onam here will not be all so boring as I imagined, because TV shows are not going to take all my time this year. Instead, we have decided to follow the tradition with a small Sadhya (with Palada pradhaman, of course), wearing Onam saree(mundum neryathum), wishing near and dear ones and being happy, which is what Onam is all about. There will not be any Thiruvathirakali or Thumbithullal, but I don't think that we have all that in Kerala nowadays. So I should definitely not be looking forward to all that being at Bangalore(though you cant cross a street here without coming across a Malayalee). And moreover, am not sure whether Mahabali visits Bangalore ;) From all what I have heard and read, he vistis only Kerala(its only in the Mimics-parade and parady-cassettes that he is at all places, and almost always at the Arab land).

The biggest attraction about Onam is the Onasadya. Its said that you should have a feast this day, howmuchever sacrifices you gotta make for that. And people do not care about this part, coz its the part looked forward to by everyone the most, for this grand festival. Its supposedly the most grand meal prepared by any civilization/cultures in the world. And the feast devoured from banana leaves, is just lip-smackingly delicious, and even more so, coz its preparation is a combined effort of the family.

And as a kid, it was the pookalam part which had always excited me. We used to make a colorful arrangement of flowers in front of our house and pray that Mahabali likes ours the best(though for pookalm competitions at school, I wanted judges to like ours the most, not Mahabali :) And on the day of Thiruvonam, we use make 'maveli' with clay, and that adorns the centre of the pookalam, making it an even more beautiful sight.

Well.. thats how my Onam stories go, and coming back point-blank to my intention of blogging this: "Wish u all a very Happy Onam, and hope that you have a rocking time ahead!!!"

No comments: